[Slowhand] Info from Tribeca Film Festival Archive

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 12:13:37 EDT 2006

Here's what I found at the Tribeca Film Festival site
archives........there is a sales contact listed at Marshbrook Ltd, but I
believe that would probably be for commercial sales. I've posted a
letter to Ms. Gibson to see what release info I can glean..................T

*Sales Contact*
Vivienne Gibson
Marshbrook Ltd.
36 Old Church Street
London, SW 3
Phone: 44 207 352 3064
Fax: 44 207 376 5625

*Eric Clapton and Friends*
/Showcase - Documentary/

United Kingdom, 2002, 80 min, Color
*North American Premiere*

*Producer:* Ana Whitling
*Cinematographer:* Javier Aguirresarobe
*Editor:* Yves Deschamps
*Music Mixer:* Robert Collins
*OB Sound:* Will Shapland, Sven Hertens
*Principal Cast:* Eric Clapton, Andy Fairweather-Low, Steve Gaad,
Paulinho Da Costa, David Sancious, Nathan East

A veteran chronicler of Latin American music, Bokova enlisted
cinematographer Javier Aguirresarobe (/The Others/) to document three
days of rehearsals leading up to Clapton's 2001 world tour. What they
capture is loose and improvisational--a glimpse behind the scenes at how
one of the best in the business gets ready for the spotlight. The
reverence shown for the guitar god by his own band is undeniable in this
love letter to a living rock and roll legend.

Jana Bokova had been approached by Clapton to make the video clip for
his latest CD, /Reptile./ He had kept an eye on her career as
documentary and feature director for many years, and wanted her
particular visual style. She arrived to film at Bray Studios, where Eric
and a group of the greatest names in rock and blues music were
rehearsing for their forthcoming tour. She brought over from Spain the
leading cameraman Javier Aguirresarobe, who had just shot to fame in
Hollywood for his work on the Amenabar film The Others, starring Nicole
Kidman. As shooting began, Clapton allowed Jana and her crew to film
more and more of the songs in rehearsal. Jana picked up a DV camera
herself, unable to resist filming the rehearsal process as it went
along--those intimate moments when the Maestro and his friends worked
tirelessly at creating new ideas and variations for their music. Eric
Clapton is known as a perfectionist, and his hard-working band includes
some of the other great survivors in rock and rhythm and blues-including
guitarist Andy Fairweather-Lowe and Steve Gaad. Then the legendary four
man group The Impressions arrived to back Eric's vocals, injecting some
of their celebrated gospel sounds into the lineup. Clapton had admired
them since he was a teenage fan himself. So Bokova's film crew became a
part of the family for the three days, and this film is a distillation
of the hard work and play of Clapton and friends at rehearsal before
they set off for a grueling twelve months on tour. Quotes from Eric
Clapton during the filming: "I play for the band, we play for each
other. With the audience, I don't try to read their minds. I think if we
do it for one another to please ourselves, and we're happy, then that is
contagious. Whereas if we try to patronize the audience that would be
indulging and they would sense that. I think the only secret is to be in
the moment, you know. Not to think ahead about what I'm going to
do...Bottom line, the secret is to listen to what everyone else is
doing, and that will tell me what to do. Just generally to get out of my
head, to turn off my brain, because if I try to calculate it, I'll get
it wrong. Thinking it doesn't work with music...you just have to feel
it, and listen."

*-/Jana Bokova/*

Jana Bokova, a veteran chronicler of Latin-American music, gives us
front-row seats to the last three days of rehearsals leading up to Eric
Clapton's 2001 world tour. Clapton had originally approached Bokova to
make a video for the song Reptile, and soon she was granted greater and
greater access to the guitar legend and his band. Clapton reveals
himself to be a perfectionist in the sessions, and his hard-working band
(including longtime collaborator Andy Fairweather-Low and jazz sessions
legend Steve Gadd) aims to please him. Also on the scene to provide
vocal backup is the legendary Chicago soul quintet The Impressions.
There is no doubt that each one of the musicians playing with Clapton
feels he is in the presence of a musical god--no surprise there. But
Bokova will show you that, with Clapton, you are. --Nancy Schafer

<http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/tixSYS/archive/dirbio.php?EventNumber=20030526>
<http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/tixSYS/archive/dirstate.php?EventNumber=20030526>
<http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/tixSYS/archive/castcredit.php?EventNumber=20030526>
> Film Contact Information
<http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/tixSYS/archive/psource.php?EventNumber=20030526>
**

--
"The true danger is, when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients,
and by parts" ..................Edmund Burke