[Slowhand] Red Square Clapton gig cancelled

Dan Gove quadzila at optonline.net
Sun Jul 30 11:14:37 EDT 2006

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5227634.stm
The singer had been scheduled to play before 20,000 people on 3 August and
had a permit "signed by all appropriate Russian city and state authorities".
According to his website, however, the permit was withdrawn on 28 July.
The statement said he was "extremely sorry" to disappoint his fans, but the
situation was "beyond his control".
Clapton had intended to end his current European tour in Moscow. Instead it
will now finish on Monday in Helsinki, Finland.

Reunion
The 61-year-old performs in the Swedish capital Stockholm on Saturday night.
Later this year he will tour the US and Canada with blues musician Robert
Cray.
In 2005 Clapton joined his former Cream bandmates Ginger Baker and Jack
Bruce for a handful of reunion concerts.
The British guitarist's many hits include I Shot the Sheriff, Wonderful
Tonight and Layla, recorded as Derek and the Dominoes.

Anyone hear about the Red Square show being televised when it was 1st
announced? I ask because my cable TV provider (Cablevision here in CT) had a
listing for the show in it's on demand listings. Thing is, it was strange
the way it was listed; it was under a menu labeled "On Stage" which was
under "TV Encores". The listing title was "Doyle B with Clapton" & the
description was "Doyle Bramhall w/Clapton and Crow at Great Wall (2006)". No
other date was given & it looked like it was available for immediate rental
for 24 hrs. at $9.95, weird! Oh well, would have been nice.

Dan G.
Quadzila at optonline.net