[Slowhand] EC surprise guest appearance last nite

sam mangano mangs88 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 09:08:15 EDT 2006

See below email from a friend who went to the Dylan show last nite in Columbus, Ohio.....

Hi Sam,
We went to Columbus Sun. night to see Dylan- Jimmie Vaughn and Lou Ann Barton were the last of the three opening acts- imagine our surprise when near the end of the set J.V. announced a special guest, and out came ERIC CLAPTON!!!!the following is a clip from The Colunbus Dispatch--
The concert opened with short sets by Elana James and the Continental Two, Junior Brown and Jimmie Vaughan, each in its way, echoing the sound of American traditional music that has inspired Dylan from the start.

"Brown dazzled with the range of his guitar skills, which with his double-necked axe went from honky-tonk to Bakersfield country, British blues to bebop jazz with a six inch reach. Vaughan was impressive enough but brought down the house when he introduced Eric Clapton and then produced the British blues legend -- presumably in town to visit in-laws -- for a couple of tunes."

And I know to hope for more was maybe a little greedy, but with that said, we were a tad disappointed when Eric didn't stay and play with Dylan at all- we were sure he would come back out for All along the watchtower- but no luck.

Still it was the best surprise we've ever had at a concert.