[Slowhand] EC Composer/Arranger

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 12:34:53 EDT 2006

Occasionally I get to hear something that makes me draw a comparison to
EC's music either directly or indirectly............usually EC comes out
pretty well. Paul Anka is arguably one of Amerika's better
songwriter/arrangers. He recently did an album titled "Rock Swings",
where he took some rock/pop classics and performed them in swing
arrangements. There are 14 tracks on the set.......01. Eye Of The Tiger
/ 02. Jump / 03. Everybody Hurts / 04. Wonderwall / 05. Black Hole Sun /
06. It’s My Life / 07. It’s A Sin / 08. True / 09. Smells Like Teen
Spirit / 10. Hello / 11. Eyes Without A Face / 12. Love Cats / 13. The
Way You Make Me Feel / 14. Tears In Heaven.......surprisingly, it works
on 13 of the 14 tracks. However, he fails miserably on Tears In Heaven.

Given the inspiration for the song, it would have been very easy and
quite understandable for the song to end up being maudlin and
schmaltzy..........in Eric's hands, however, the song manages to convey
his hurt and loss without being overly sentimental, IMO it is quite a
beautiful song. In Paul Anka's hands, he fell right into the trap, it
comes out extremely maudlin and schmaltzy (I wanted to slit my wrists as
I listened to this track!!).

This made me think about how we take EC's music for granted. It really
is a great songbook, some moments weaker than others, sure, but always
very interesting and genuine. Until I had the basis for a direct
head-to-head comparison I looked upon TIH as just another great Clapton
song. Given the opportunity to compare what he did with the song to
another great talent's rendition, I can better appreciate EC's talent,
not just as a guitarist, but also as a composer/arranger. Yes, we'll
still criticize him when he gets lazy (from our perspective), as well we
should...........but let's also recognize the talent he's been gracious
enough to share with the rest of us for all these

--
"The true danger is, when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients,
and by parts" ..................Edmund Burke