[Slowhand] Lossless

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 14:24:02 EDT 2006

>> I recently uploaded to Dime all the

>> non-official tracks from the Dominos

>> Fillmore nights.

*snip*

>> After about 5 or 6 hours it was banned

>> because it was lossy.

*snip*

>> Now to be perfectly honest I can't tell

>> the slightest difference at all

Curious ... was this version you uploaded the Slunky release:

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/clapton/slunky-fillmore.htm

If so, it's definitely been stomped on a bit with some heavy handed noise reduction, which might appear to be lossy upon inspection.

And funny you would mention this recording if this is the one you are talking about!

This is one that, to me, I can 100% hear the artifacts from the noise reduction. To those of you who may be guitar players, it sounds like phasing, flanging, or even sort of a leslie type rotating speaker sound. To me it's 100% obvious but as a bit of a test I sprung this one a/b'd with the Tarantura set on friends and family, and many people preferred this tweaked version ... they simply can't hear the high end artifacts and so in comparison, whereas the original has hiss they can hear, the Slunk release sounds "better" since they can't hear the hiss *or* the artifacts from the hiss reduction.

To Muddy the Waters even further, if you extract tracks like this to a lossy format, the upper end weirdness is even more attenuated and in some perverse way it's even easier to listen to when it's compressed.

I found this out ages ago when I was trying to describe a badly extracted CD to a friend. My friend wanted to put an audio example of what a badly extracted CD sounded like on his website. Funnily enough, my subject CD *played* horribly in a CD player but when extracting on the PC, EAC "fixed" many of the problems so it was impossible to tell how bad the original had sounded!

So then as a simple expedient I simply hooked up the analog outs of a CD player to the analog input on the CD burner, burned the sound, extracted into the PC and was a perfect representation as a WAV file but, once converted to mp3, the clicks and pops were attenuated so much that it was much more manageable and, again, no where near as annoying as it had been on the original (flawed) CD.

So in some perverse way, I think lossy audio might even improve some recordings ;)

Cheers,
AG

PS You can make lossy of recordings of "Wonderful Tonight" at any bitrate you desire and I will never complain <g>

http://mail.yahoo.com