[Slowhand] RE: Standing at the Crossroads

Bbanderic at aol.com Bbanderic at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 11:14:52 EDT 2006

Ken Norris wrote:

> What iTunes and dimeadozen give us is access. On the other hand, what they

give us is >an inferior product. And there is a trade-off

> involved, isn't there? I used to spend a lot of money BUYING EC boots back

in the early >90s. Then I entered the trading community,

> and the trades were variable. Sometimes they were pristine, other times

they had the two >second gaps, and sometimes they were

> mere Aud2 and fairly unlistenable. The stuff that's been circulating since

Cream Maximum >hit dimeadozen is listenable mp3

> quality, I believe. And 90% of us can't tell the difference.

I don't know anything about itunes but how do you figure that Dimeadozen and
other bit torrent sites give us an inferior product? If anything,
Dimeadozen's standards are VERY high, lossy material is NOT allowed. If lossy
material slips through the cracks, it's quickly banned and removed from the tracker.

To me, there's no trade off in quality with bit torrent (DIME) as opposed to
good old fashioned snail mail trades, if anything it's an improvement IMO.
Plus, it's cheaper (free) and a lot less hassle.

I think the real issue here is that the average Joe doesn't know the
difference between an mp3 and a WAV file, I can't tell you how many times I've had
to explain to people the difference between the two. Most don't know anything
about audio/video compression and the quality loss associated with it, or
simply don't care, therefore it's so widely accepted.

Cheers,

Jon