[Slowhand] St. Louis show reveiw

John Broholm jbroholm at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 18:42:44 EDT 2006

Slowhanders:

I'll have the set list and a mini-review from St.
Louis when I get the chance. (I'm dismayed we haven't
gotten a report from the St. Paul.) Meanwhile, the
Post-Dispatch posted a review this morning that gets
it right, especially about "Old Love." It was a
driven, high-energy show with few if any letdowns and
some real highlights. Below, excerpts and the link:

Eric Clapton long ago may have disavowed the famous
London underground graffito declaring "Clapton is
God," but he brought a little slice of heaven to
guitar lovers Monday at Scottrade Center.

[ . . . ]

Clapton was generous with the spotlight, allowing the
others to shine throughout the concert. Still, he was
seldom topped as he reeled off one jaw-dropping solo
after another.

[ . . . ]

On "Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out,"
[Derek] Trucks, who is also member of the Allman
Brothers Band, showed his considerable prowess on
slide guitar.

[ . . . ]

Cray joined the band for "Old Love," a solemn blues
dirge on which Clapton unleashed a wrenching, volcanic
solo, then backed away, turning the stage over to
Cray.

How, one wondered, could Cray -- or anyone, for that
matter -- follow that?

Amazingly, he found a way, starting his solo with a
foundation of long, low notes, building slowly and
steadily toward a blazing finish. Audience members
leapt to their feet, knowing if anyone could be said
to win this particular duel, it was them.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/reviews.nsf/concert/story/70D4DD0F4404EFE1862571EE0066E69F?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2C%22clapton%22

John
jbroholm at sbcglobal.net