[Slowhand] An addendum to my StL comments

John Broholm jbroholm at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 21 14:29:02 EDT 2006

A couple of things bug me, in looking over my
non-review of the StL show. (Either I'm obsessing, or
I never can quit.)

One, I didn't do justice to the contribution of Willie
Weeks and Steve Jordan, who helped solve one of the
problems Clapton's had in recent years: a certain
complacency in the groove and lack of challenge to the
bandleader. Oh, boy, was there challenge to the
bandleader, and not just from the hot guitarists to
his left and right on stage.

And, two, I didn't do justice to Clapton's playing
itself. I guess it's just a given (though it hasn't
always been), the same way Chet Atkins' name rarely
came up in discussions about who was the hottest
picker in Nashville, because it was assumed and
everybody was really talking about number two. EC is
playing magnificently. Can't say it's his best,
because as I said in the non-review I don't know what
"best" is, but to my ear it's right in there.

JB
jbroholm at sbcglobal.net