[Slowhand] Chicago

Shevawn Eaton CD0SBE1 at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Fri Sep 22 12:50:36 EDT 2006

First of all, John, your review was dead on! I read it after I'd seen
him in Chicago and agreed with all you said. The shows were nearly
identical, and so was, apparently the energy.

I also agree that these young puppies that are playing with him on this
tour have raised the bar for him. He seems far less complacent than
I've seen him on previous tours, definitely challenged and having some
fun with that challenge. It was a wonderful thing to see.

Without question, this was Clapton at his best in a long time. And to
have all that talent behind him made the concert magical. I always take
newbies with me to Clapton concerts, and I had no embarrassment at
justifying my fanaticism this time. People understood what I was
talking about. Simply, WOW!

Loved the playlist. It was probably my favorite. Though I can always
live without I Shot the Sheriff--and in this case, specifically Doyle's
solo. Doyle has grown a lot since working with Clapton, but his style
is still far grittier than Trucks' or Clapton and sometimes they just
don't blend well, as was the case on this song. But that is just me. I
read one review that said ISTS was the crowning jewel of the evening.
For me it was just, "well, yeah, ok, let's get on with it..."

I read a review on Where's Eric, talking about the United Center, and I
agree. I've been there for tons of concerts, including 5 of Eric's, and
the sound quality wasn't all that wonderful. However, this time, the
sound quality was great, and the clarity of those dueling guitar solos
was brilliant! Applause to everyone that contributed to that!

I am a veteran Clapton fan, and was really debating going to see him
this time. The last couple of tours really just didn't do much for me,
but this one made a difference. For those of you who have been sitting
where I was about paying all that money to see him live again, let me
tell you, this one was worth it.

Old Love got me teary...a rare occurance for this jaded old broad.

Motherless Child gave me goosebumps. The intensity of that performance
was incredible. They blew the roof off.

I am Yours was an incredible surprise. Much better than the LAOLS
version due definitely to Trucks slide, but I think I liked it more
because I've never seen him do this song, and the only version I've ever
heard was on LAOLS. It was a welcome departure from Tears in Heaven
(and my apologies to those who love that song).

Finally, Cray obviously inspires Eric and vice versa. I thought they
both gave stronger performances together than either did separately.
Crossroads was absolutely breathtaking. Four amazing guitar slingers
all in a row. I couldn't take my eyes off of them!

OK, enough gushing. You should not, I usually don't gush like this,
but I set aside my own insecurities this time to let others know how I
feel. I don't think I've posted here in several years, but this show
deserved my emergence from lurkerdom. So take that to the bank....or to
the evil god TicketMaster.

Shevawn