[Slowhand] Re: StL reflections

Bryce Utting butting at ihug.co.nz
Fri Sep 22 19:33:30 EDT 2006

John Broholm <jbroholm at sbcglobal.net> wrote (in a fantastic review, btw):

> Let’s put one thing clear, and no arguments. Robert Cray is the best

> opening act ever. Period. He *had* the crowd right from the start, and

> he translated his club-style act and his more-intimate guitar dynamics

> into an arena almost effortlessly. He played 35 minutes . . . I wish

> he’d had one more number.

I'm surprised to read this, so I guess there is an argument. (uh-oh.)

Back in April, I had the absolute delight of seeing Buddy Guy live in
Auckland (and wooooooEEEEE!!!!, the blisters on my ears are still
tingling). Cray opened, and...

I've never been so bored.

Sure, he was tight, polished, has a GREAT tone (something not to be
treated at all lightly), and I had a fantastic spot right at the front
of the stage, about six feet directly in front of him. (His amps were
about another four feet behind him, so I was hearing that great tone
straight off them: *very* nice.)

And he was about as passionate and dynamic as Adam Sandler reading
Leonard Cohen. Cliched and predictable, yes. Memorable? Not in any
good ways...

About the only interesting thing he pulled all set was his stock
A-string 5th-6th-5th slide, but it seemed like he was doing that every
second or third measure each solo. I worked out why I haven't bought
any of his albums since Some Rainy Morning (mostly indistinguishable
from the three or four others of his I've got) when I realised I was
singing along to his solos under my breath *and hitting almost all the
same notes*. That's almost as predictable as MY playing.

(Jim Pugh's organ solo is best not mentioned, too. I'd wonder if the
long trip had worn them all out, but in all honesty I didn't hear
anything much different to the albums.)

I know he's got some great stuff in him, and that when others push him
he can deliver something special. I saw absolutely none of that on the
night though, which was truly sad.

And then Buddy Guy (BUDDY GUY!!!) came on stage and melted the full
house's ears with ninety minutes of scorching solos unlike anything
recorded *ever* (why IS that, dammit?) and I was happy again and I was
so close when he came down the steps for his crowdwalk I had to duck out
of the way of his headstock and I got a pick right from The Man's hands
at the end of the set and that was the *greatest night of all time*.

So we can at least put THIS clear, with no argument: Buddy Guy is the
best headline act ever. Period. ;>

(okay, so I've only seen EC once so far. he should come visit more
bloody often, dammit.)

(and the review's definitely appreciated, btw: *strongly* looking
forward to January, and Derek Trucks.)

butting

--
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
then it's because I am.