[Slowhand] MSG/NYC: Ticket Price Complaint

Len Moskowitz lenmoskowitz at optonline.net
Sun Sep 24 23:45:34 EDT 2006

Sad to say that I'm not going to see Eric and company at MSG this time
around.

Now you all know that I'm a die hard Clapton fan. I flew to RAH to see
Cream and saw them again at MSG in NYC. I've caught most of the EC shows in
the NYC area over the last 25 years.

So why aren't I going? The venue is not worth the ticket price. Madison
Square Garden, Live Nation and Ticketmaster are getting $99.50 and $154.50
for decent seats. Seats in the rear, on the third tier and the mezanine
("nose bleed" seats) are less expensive but then the sound quality is much
worse and the distance to stage is not pleasant.

Without any exaggeration, MSG is *always* full of people who don't shut up
during the performance. Lots of beer and drunks, and lots of pot too. It's
just not a pleasant place to hear music, especially at the premium prices
they're charging for decent seats.

So I'm sitting out this year. I'll have to manage with recordings.

My recommendation? Perhaps Eric could play the area's sheds: PNC Bank Arts
Center in New Jersey and the Nikon Jones Beach theater on Long Island. We
caught the Sheryl Crow/John Mayer shows there last month and even the middle
priced seats were reasonable values. Yes, they don't have the seating
capacity of MSG or the Continental Arena, but the sound is much better,
there's less talking, fewer drunks, less drug visibility and prices are
acceptable.

Another alternative are the large classical venues: Carnegie Hall & Avery
Fisher Hall in NYC and NJPAC in Newark. All are truly excellent concert
halls.

Maybe next year... <sigh>

Len Moskowitz
Teaneck NJ (USA)