[Slowhand] bummer

sam mangano mangs88 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 25 11:44:17 EDT 2006

was only an hour into my drive to detroit when a friend called me who was in the parking lot said the show was cancelled. hopefully the rescheduled show occurs on a weekend as well.

anyways, here is a snippet from a review of last nights toronto show......"Doyle Bramhall appeared to have some difficulties with his guitar during the opening few numbers and it was not until he switched to a Gibson Les Paul that his playing improved". (ha ha)

not to go on a rant here with the fender vs gibson debate, but in preparation for Cream last year, i listened to a lot of Cream recordings. although he was played a strat at the reunion shows, it sounded heavily beefed up. however, on my way to detroit, i prepared myself by pulling out LAOALS for the 3 hour trip since there were to be a lot of D+D songs. MY GOD, how tinny and thin does the strat sound on most of that album!!??

it put into perspective for me why those who grew up during that time (i was born the month before Layla was released) choose to argue so passionately about his sound in the 70's versus that with Mayall and Cream (DN and others). you can tell the talent is the same in the fingers, but its a shame that it doesn't translate as well (personal taste, i know) on a different axe......glad to see he is using technology to achieve a fatter sound with a fender guitar that has a shape and feel that is more pleasing to him!

just my .02,
sambo8