[Slowhand] End of Week Easy Listening

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 09:31:40 EDT 2006

Some nice tracks for the end of the week ...

I have to feel a twinge of pity for those folks who have a difficult time appreciating a good audience recording. Especially since it does seem at times that the quality of the recording is at times inversely proportional to the quality of the performance - the Geetarz Law of Boots? <g>

Personally I prefer a good aud to the typical soundboard - this is a sweeping generalization of course, but there's just something missing in many board recordings. As an example, anyone who has ever been in a studio knows how difficult it can be to capture a good guitar sound on record. There's a huge difference between that one SM57 at an angle focused a few inches off one speaker in a Marshall 4x12 cab and the "real" sound of the cab in the room, vibrating away. One of the tricks for mic'ing an old Tweed Bassman or similar, for example, is to add a 2nd mic pointing at the *side* of the amp a few feet away, to capture a lot of that woody sounding resonance. These details and nuance just aren't a part of a stage PA setup!

Here's a personal favorite, this one always gets my blood humming, recorded from directly on the PA stacks:

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/01 Anything For Love.m4a

This deserves to be played on BIG speakers cranked LOUD ... it's also guite a treat on headphones.

For a different, more open sounding aud rec, another personal favorite, this from the lovely Japan 2003 Tour Boxset, it just doesn't get much better than this:

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/21-07 White Room.m4a

This is one of those recordings that really doesn't sound all that special on for instance the crappy cheap speakers attached to most PCs, but really comes alive when it's cranked a bit, especially with a nice subwoofer to really give the drums and bass the resonance of the concert hall that you just can' get from a straight 'board recording.

Play and enjoy!
AG