[Slowhand] Clapton in Philly

Eric Clapton blackiej200 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 10:33:20 EDT 2006

Saw EC last night in Philly.
I've seen him on every tour since '89.
Though he looked good and healthy. The band was smokin'.
The mix was not so good from my seat - 1st level above the floor on Doyle's side. (between the blue line and center ice)
Eric voice was buried in the mix too much.
Eric playing was pretty lackluster sorry to say. He seemed like he didn't have the energy in his soloing that I was expecting him to. Especially with the band that he had to push him. He wasn't taking any chances and getting out there on that edge. Don't get me wrong - he is still a master at his craft. But I guess maybe he had an off night or wasn't feeling 100%. I'd say that the highlight of the night for EC solos was probably in Old Love. He did step up on that one and cook.
His tone was not where it used to be the last few times I've seen him as well. Muddy, too much midrange. It was like the Journeyman era before he really got the sweet spots on the his new active preamp EC signature strat. (which I play and is my favorite strat.)
Derek Trucks was absolutely spectacular. He was playing the stuff I was looking for and his tone was beautiful. Doyle Bramhall also had wicked tone and when he did let it rip it was great - original, unique phrasing.
The acoustic section was great. You could really hear Eric voice which is in fine shape. They performed I Am Yours which I thought was perfect.
Eric only played one Pewter strat through his custom shop twins all night long.
I was disappointed in the length of the show. They were into Layla before 10 p.m.
Robert Cray was fantastic. he sang Crossroads great.
Dave B