[Slowhand] Washington DC

Garret74 at aol.com Garret74 at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 11:34:38 EDT 2006

I agree with the other postings on the DC show.

Some other observations...

As at the Philly show, I thought the voice needed to be up in the mix a bit.
I thought the tone on Derek's guitar was a bit muddy. Doyle's tone was much
better, and he had more of a variation of tones (and he played at least four
different guitars!),,,sounded like he was playing through a Leslie speaker at
one point. Chris Stainton played an amazing piano solo on Cocaine. All in
all, the band was fantastic.

I wish the show was just a tad bit longer- but the band is very very tight.
Eric gives a lot of room to the other players and really I wish he'd play just
a bit more. It was almost as if he set the standard with Old Love (that was
an amazing break he did- the only time he really took it to divine levels all
night, though...)
The guitar players in the band really seem to be enjoying playing together
and it seemed to me they're playing more for each other than the audience,
really...that was some of the best phrasing I've ever heard at a live show.
I'd never heard Eric do some of the songs he did (I've seen him at least
thirty times in his legendary career!)...Anyday, I am yours...Wow...

The light show is new and dazzling...
I wouldn't rate this the best show I've ever seen, but as always it was
pretty damn good. For an Eric Clapton show to truly be great, in my opinion, he
has to push it more.

Robert Cray is a national treasure. What a understated genius he is...

And as stated, the crowd was the best DC crowd I'd ever seen.

I had a hard time getting tickets. I'm not on the special fan list or
anything (maybe now I should join- but who knows how many more tours Eric has in
him?) I wasn't going to go it I didn't get great seats, and I was trying
ticketron for over two months...nothing. I had all but given up. But on the morning
of the show I made one last attempt to get something and something did
indeed come up. I got tickets on the floor, section 5, row A.

Lucky....!!! Good Karma, I guess...

Eileen, Did you get to meet the boys after the show?

Garret