[Slowhand] Tony Joe White album

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 14 12:39:04 EDT 2006

I was provided a promotional copy of "Uncovered" by Tony Joe White (the European release) and asked to provide a review. If I had a music store, I would have difficulty knowing where to put this CD. The "Blues" and "Rhythm and Blues" sections would be likely candidates, although there are elements of Country and Rock, too. Promotional materials provided with the CD refer to his music as "swampy, blues-drenched soul."

Tony Joe White has a deep, gravely voice. Think Buddy Guy when he sings in a low register. The music is dark and brooding in a good way. White's guitar work is often sparse, at times reminding me of J.J. Cale or even Mark Knopfler. White often uses guitar effects, usually appropriately but occasionally excessively.

Some very notable guest appearances grace this CD. Eric Clapton provides guitar and vocals on "Did Somebody Make A Fool Out of You." You won't hear blazing guitar like the second "Crossroads" solo. His guitar work is appropriately tight and the vocals blend with White's nicely. "Not One Bad Thought" features Mark Knopfler. Unfortunately, his guitar work is a bit buried in the mix. "Louvelda" with J.J. Cale plods along with some nice guitar work and vocals by both men. J.J. Cale even wrote two of the verses. Still, the song just doesn't appeal to me much. "Shakin' The Blues" is one of Waylon Jenning's last recordings and the only composition not written or co-written by White. It sounds like Tony Joe White is guesting on a Waylon Jennings song. Nice! I recognize that Michael McDonald has a great voice, but I just don't like it. In "Baby, Don't Look Down," McDonald and White's voices blend nicely, though.

Overall, I like this CD and anticipate listening to it periodically. "Rainy Night In Georgia" seems perfectly suited for White. Should be - he wrote it! Other well known compositions redone for this CD include "Did Somebody Make A Fool Out of You" and "Taking the Midnight Train."

My next reviews should be the Clapton concerts in Raleigh and Charlotte!

Steve