[Slowhand] Charlotte Review

sam mangano mangs88 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 19 19:08:06 EDT 2006

What a long, strange (but wonderful) trip! Left Cleveland in a monsoon to fly out of Pittsburgh and save some money on the flight. While waiting for my plane in the rainy 'Burgh, I spotted Jerome Bettis of the World Champion Steelers. Got his autograph for my wife who is a huge fan. Flew to dreary Newark, NJ for what was supposed to be a 1 hour layover that turned into 2 hours. Finally arrived in rainy Charlotte, being greeted by one Dr. Proctor who was holding a head-on-a-stick of my face!! We scooted off in his red Porsche to his girlfriends luxurious pad 3 blocks away from the arena.

After a quick bite to eat (with EC videos playing during our stay at the bar), we were off to the show. Tremendous souveneir program at the merchandise stands. they were also selling the remaining special prints commemorating the 3 shows at MSG this year.

The second row center seats were my best ever for an EC show. It was great to hear the music from the stage equipment directly. Robert Cray was magnificent (i enjoyed his brief set here better than a full show of his i saw earlier this spring).

EC was in fine form, smiling and laughing throughout the show. All his solos were intense, and although i would have enjoyed even more of them, i was blown away by derek trucks! i first saw him open up for buddy guy in 1999, and was impressed by his growth when i saw him again 2 years ago with the allmans. he has now grown even better to my ears in technique and tone and prowess in this short time span as well.

doyle had a fun time, but had to try real hard to fit his style into the mix. everybody seemed to be having a blast up there. i didn't seem to notice any measurable musical differences with willie weeks, but did miss Nathan's affability with the crowd. Steve Jordan was the biggest difference in my opinion. i have always liked him, and loved his contributions. the girls sounded lovely as ever, and were dressed much more appropriately than last go around.

i wont go into details on every song, but here are some general thoughts:

1. most of the songs were arranged very differently from previous tours. GTGBIALW changed to a slightly inferior version from last year (a little bit too laid back).

2. derek's jam band feel rubbed off on a lot of songs, as about 4 clocked in at over 10 minutes, the longest being a 15 minute "queen of spades"

3. it was nice to hear the gibson on about 4 songs.

4. the 3-pronged slide attack on "motherless children" was a guitar orgy. "after midnight" was a rollicking jaunt.

5. robert crays solo on old love was outstanding (the band was amazed as well). EC even sang this song differently than in the past.

6. Further on up the Road sounded very jazzy.

7. this was the best sit down set in the past 8 years! steve jordan used some unusual percussion instruments, and the full band stayed for most of the songs. i was never really a big fan of "running on faith", but this version was tremendous!

8. derek's turn during Cocaine was almost alien-like! this arrangement sounded much like robert cray's "phone booth".

9. tim carmon still doesnt do much for me with his synthesizer antics.

10. WT was short and sweet, while "crossroads" was like a freight train with no brakes-great closer!!

As steve mentioned, the heads on a stick got a hearty chuckle from EC, and derek laughed, too. we will be making up heads for him and doyle as well for the spring - can't wait for some midwest shows!! i thought the 2004 tour was great, and this tour made that one pale in comparison. DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!!

flew back to cleveland the next day, went to dinner with the wife and twins, and got on the road for the 3 hour drive to detroit for 2 days of work-related travel (that's right-5 states in 2 days!!)......

Out,
Sambo8