[Slowhand] First Impressions of 'Ride the River'

Simon George simon.george5 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 21 09:26:21 EDT 2006

What does everyone think of this track?
I must admit to not having listenened to much JJ Cale stuff before, but to
me the track sounds very much like a Mark Knopfler track, in particular it
sounds to me like it belongs on the MK and Chet Atkins album, "Neck and
Neck" from the early 90's.
Hardly suprising since MK cites Cale as one of his influences, and Cale
cites Atkins as one of his.
Much of the guitar work shows were MK got a lot of his influence.
Its a nice track, I just hope EC features more strongly in the rest of the
album, and doesn't do his usual trick of staying in the background in the
presence of those he considers more worthy.
Just my two-pence worth,
Simon