[Slowhand] Blind Flat DVD

An English Boy peter_dennis_blandford_townshend at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 13:08:54 EDT 2006

I'm a big fan of EC, prefer his YB/BB/Cream/BF/D&D/FTC/NBTB eras/releases
to be his finest moments (*NO*...I'm NOT "DeltaNick" in disguise!).

My wife has been ill, and is much younger than I. She was 7 y/o when I
was seeing Blind Faith @ The Forum in August 1969 with Free & Delaney
and Bonnie & Friends opening....so....

To cheer her up, and give her a glimpse of "back in the day" that I can
only tell her about, or share via records/VHS/DVDs, I bought her the
BF DVD....

Well...my observation and opinion:

FLAT !!!

TOTALLT FLAT !!!

Nervous in front of 100,000 UK hippies? I think not.

Winwood was only himself, the Winwood *I* know and love
on Traffic's "Means to an End."

Ginger, was fine (however edited the drum solo on DWYL was)
and seemingly happy.

Gretch was, well, Gretch, which is kinda a non-entity.

Which leaves us the reason we are all here on the SDigest, one
Mr. Eric Clapton !

Keep in mind that I *have* read/seen the reviews of this DVD and
STILL was unprepared for the UNINSPIRED, ABSOLUTELY FLAT and
boring, ineffective, lifeless, unenergetic, Freakin' FLAT performance
by Clapton !!! WAS EC SMACKED OUT on Mexican Brown or China
White?

I had to apologise to my wife for wasting her time on the DVD (which
I expected to be poorly filmed in the style of which was common 'back
in the day") but to ASSURE HER that 2 months later in Inglewood CA
@ The Forum, Blind Faith WAS A VERY DIFFERENT BAND !!!

I am deeply disappointed, and, hope any potential viewers who, like my wife,
expected to see Clapton at one of the heights of his
playing/performing/career,
will give him another chance....

Now, the REAL SAD part, there is NO GREAT footage of EC in the YARDBIRDs,
or Blues Breakers, or Cream, or Blind Faith, or Derek & The Dominos...how
huge a tragedy is that?

Personally, as far as Officially amd readily available VHS/DVDs of EC are
concerned,
I am VERY GLAD that 24 Nights exists.....

If ANYONE can remedy this travesty for me ona B&P basis, let me know,
becasue I would DEARLY LOVE to have some archival footage of EC when
he was ON !!!

Lew Campbell
Somewhere in the Northern California Coastal Redwoods~