[Slowhand] The Road to Escondido...my review

Scott Wallenberg scottw at racerxill.com
Sun Nov 5 03:10:50 EST 2006

I have been fortunate to have had an advance copy for the last 6 weeks. I
did a review for my magazine and
my agreement with WB records did not allow me to share info until the
release.

What a record! It hits home runs to me on many levels including
musicianship, songs, and vibe.
This certainly is not an Eric Clapton record in the strict sense,
Considering JJ penned 11 of the songs and Eric only 1,
yet Clapton's stamp of both signature guitar licks and voice are evident on
every track.

The guest stars are of course just that...stars. Billy Preston, Derek
Trucks, Albert Lee, Taj Mahal, John Mayer, Doyle Bramhall
all have outstanding contributions which add to the charm of this record.

The production and feel is all JJ and while Clapton is listed as
co-producer, this recording achieves what Eric has said for years what he
has wanted to do..make an EC record that sounds as cool as a JJ Cale record
but he obviously needed JJ to do it.
Eric's lone penned track is a tribute to his daughters and sounds like a
bonus track from the Back Home sessions without the ultra slick "Climie"
sound. I have really taken to the track in the same way the original
unreleased "Circus" on Unplugged goes straight to the heart.

If you are not hooked after the first listen you will be by the second time
through...the more you listen the more the subtle gems come through.

I look forward to reading your reviews on the digest in the coming weeks.

Scott