[Slowhand] road to escondido - nice but ultimately frustrating..

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 17:37:36 EST 2006

Kudos to Eric for getting this project done with his longtime friend and
'role' model i guess.

It's a nicely done cd, tasteful lyrics, harmless backing band, pristine
sound and good guitar bits here and there, but some observations:

1. Who am I to complain, but too many guest artists, as with Back Home it
gets too confusing, I want an Eric/JJ album, not one with all the other
guys, give me Derek Trucks thats it.

2. Frustrating on at least 2 tracks, the track fades out right during Eric's
solo or him playing some nice licks.. Why!!!

3. Eric's amazing vocals are just too in Lowness with JJ's.. Eric is great
at playing himself down during these kinds of collaborations, like with BB.
I understand his deference but it's frustrating for an Eric fan. there is a
lot of room in these songs for more guitar, but ultimately it goes a little
short for me.

4. The songs themselves are decent, some are ridiculuous - When the War is
Over especially comes to mind..

5. the backing band is at times good, but often times harmless, blends in
with the background to become dull but nothing terrible here, the drumming
is improved greatly in places.

6. nice to see billy features in the liner notes and in the songs themselves
- speaking of liner notes, why not tell me on which songs which guest
players play!!! so maddening..

overall i give this 3 out of 5 stars. not as bland as back home, but just a
little short in my opinion of what i was expecting.

aap