[Slowhand] Whitebicycles & Joe Boyd

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 07:55:10 EST 2006

Hey Slowhanders,

At the moment I'm reading an interesting book by Joe Boyd entitled
Whitebicycles (making music in the 1960's)

It's not bad so far, and there is an interesting section where he mentions
how Mike Bloomfield started with The Butterfield Blues Band.

Just a few quotes from the relevant section, starting where Paul Rothchild
(Doors producer) had been discussing a recording contract with Paul
Butterfield and Elvin Bishop.

"I told Paul I could only see one problem. Elvin Bishop was a good rhythm
player, a decent singer, a nice guy, a close friend of Butter's and
a key to the group's conception and sound. But as a lead guitarist he was
just not....'heroic'. I had been telling Paul about the charismatic role
a young guitar player for John Mayall's Blues Breakers named Eric Clapton
had in the mythology of English blues bands. To be perfect the
band needed a guitar hero."

"I mentioned the white kid who had sat in with Muddy Waters: he seemed
pretty intense and heroic"

"After the show, Paul and I took Butter down the street for a drink. We
told him of our concerns about Elvin and the need for a strong lead
guitarist
as a foil to his harmonica solos. I asked whether he knew Bloomfield.
"Sure, I know Mike" he said "he has a regular gig at a bar in Evanston. I
think he's there tomorrow night.""

"Bloomfield was in mid-set, but during a pause Butter motioned towards his
harmonica and Mike beckoned him onto the stage.
As they started jamming on a Freddy King instrumental, Paul and I exchanged
looks. This was the magic dialectic, Butterfield and Bloomfield."

"Rothchild laid out the deal: join the Butterfield Band, sign a contract
with Elektra, come to New York, make a record, be a star. Bloomfield
hesitated for about 10 seconds before nodding his agreement."

Now I like this story because it shows that Eric's reputation as a guitar
slinger had a direct influence on Bloomfield being in the Butterfield Blues
Band.

Well, if you delve a little deeper, let's say the liner info to Rhinos "The
Original Lost Elektra Sessions" by the Butterfield Blues Band we see that it
was:

Recorded at Mastertone Studios, New York City, winter 1964.

This is about the same time Eric was begrudgingly churning out the little
boogie section in the middle of "For Your Love" with The Yardbirds.

Quite some time before he was wowing them in the Blues Breakers.

Still it's a good read.

Cheers

Tone