[Slowhand] Checking In

Michael Sawin msawin at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 16:03:55 EST 2006

Mikeymike, London UK

Way back in the mist of time ('65, actually) I was a big Stones fan. A
girlfriend of a friend of mine told me check out a group called The
Bluesbreakers with this great guitarist-I scoffed-but checked him out
anyway. Lightning bolt!
Tried to get to his gigs but was that little bit too young. So I purchased
everything that I could (remember vinyl?). My then girlfriend (soon to be
wife) managed to get 1 ticket for the Farewell RAH show. She went-I didn't.
Saw the B/W BBC TV show of it and was despondant that I had missed it. By
the time Blind Faith came along I was a father and acted responsibly as
fathers should and didn't go to Hyde Park. The Dominos era came and went in
a flash-just didn't find out in time about the few shows close enough to
see. There was no internet where literally within minutes of EC playing a
new song it's widespread knowledge these days. You found out things
sometimes weeks later often by word of mouth. The Rainbow concerts were the
same. If you didn't buy the New Musical Express or Melody Maker, you knew
nothing. Ahh the frustration of finding out about something days too late.
When 1974's comeback tour was announced I was determined to go and went to
the famous 4th December date at the Hammersmith Odeon. Took a tape recorder
as well as I KNEW I wanted to constantly relive the show. And boy, was it a
revelation. He was on fire that night. The first 'electric' song he played
in the set was 'Sheriff' and what a killer it was. It remains to today my
fave song of his-and as I have often said before, is a great yardstick of
the show to come. When he plays a great one, the rest of the show is great
as well.
Totally hooked I decided I would make up for years of frustration of not
seeing him by going to everyone I could possibly do so.Blackpool and
Bridlington 76, Hammersmith 77, Hammersmith Guildford and Dublin 78, Bingley
& Dublin 79 and so on. I started going to Europe in the early 80's (Aarhus,
Randers and Copenhagen) and knew I was really hooked. Since then I have seen
roughly 600 shows of his all over the UK, Europe and the U.S.
Some of the memorable shows I've been lucky enough to see are most of the
RAH shows since 87 (with the exception of about 15/16 of them); Dublin and
the UK and the ARMS shows 83;all the UK Roger Water dates in 1984;London
Edinburgh and Birmingham 85; Birmingham & Juins Les Pins 86; Brussels 87;
Montreux 92 and 97; Legends Club in Chicago, H of Blues in Memphis and
Irving Plaza during the 'club' dates in 94; Philly, Buffalo, NY, Washington
and Chicago 95; the Euro dates in Belgium, Holland, France and Spain in 95;
most of the European dates with Legends in 97; NY Philly and Washington in
98; all the unadvertised 'local' shows in Guildford and all the New Year
'Special' shows, and most TV specials ( OGWT,Ronnie Scotts 86 & 87, Carl
Perkins 85, Jools Holland) . I've felt privileged to see them all and do not
resent one moment spent 'on the road' or the thousands of pounds I've spent.
In doing so I've met some amazing people-all like-minded fools with more
money than sense. You know who you are. Lost one or two on the way as
well-notably Virginia Lohl last year. She truly loved him. At least EC was
good enough to send a bunch of flowers and a representative to her funeral.
Another lost friend was Rita in Holland who introduced me to the Digest. The
first time I saw it I just wanted to post up a review of a show I'd just
seen (Heerenveen in Northern Holland) and share it with a community. This
one. It has been a mine of information, news and gossip. I, a mad bad
collector have even managed to get a few recordings I never had (shock,
horror) from it. There have been some lulls in the momentum but it is still
propelled forward by the likes of Scott and Dr. Proctor(who makes me laugh)
and similar funnies and, yes, AG and DN.
This forum should not be disbanded because we all share this terminal
illness of admiring the worlds most innovative, fluent, melodic
guitarist-with or without a Strat.
Long may it live and my thanks to it for what enjoyment I've derived from it
in the past.
Er, just my 2 cents worth.