[Slowhand] Just for the record

Fabio Dwyer downtownstreets at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:47:42 EST 2006

Hi people,

one of our buddies caught me out of the list asking me about my last post,
my personal reflections about SDigest and stuff. I made fun out of the fact
that once I got suspended by Dave Hillmann for being not-so-kind with other
member. My recall of this incident was with my tongue firmly against my
cheek, but maybe he/she (I won't tell who, but I know you're reading this,
you know who you are:-) misunderstood me.

I'm not the inventor or the pioneer of name calling on the web... My
suspension time (deserved!) happened in a bad week for me - well, everybody
have that day(s) when even your dog doesn't recognizes you. There was this
member, a few years ago, who spent a lot of this time telling how Clapton
was so weak these days, how Jeff Beck could "destroy" him onstage, etc. etc.
Of course I can deal with that, no problem, I didn't even answered to any of
this musical-offensive topics. The problem is that it went through an
abusive way, the guy wrote that Clapton was a pedophile - mentioning his
marriage with Melia, 300 years younger than him and stuff, and it really
pissed me off -as some other members too. He definitely threw the water out
of the jar and I couldn't stand that -remember, I was in a baaad, baaad
week... Maybe I should respond him privately, I was wrong. Then after a
couple of days, another suspended member (for the same reason) contacted me
to tell that this guy was a 16 yrs old kid and it really made sense, all the
childish stuff he was writing, that went way beyond musical opinion, it was
getting really offensive. So I apologized Mr. Hillman and the whole list,
and that's it. It happened ONCE with me. After that, everyone who had an
argue with me - it happened once or twice - had it privately. I'm a polite,
well-educated person as the average member, as many friends I have here can
attest. I support democracy, but with a fair play, a wise use of words.

As Hillman said, we don't need him babysiting anyone, we had the freedom of
speech and for every right we have, there's a due also, so let's keep
opinions in a civilized level, not take it too seriously - I'm with AG on
that, it's just a discussion group on the web, cool, nice, but let's not
make all this stuff such a big deal, ok?

Cheers,
Fabio

Conheça meu cd "Downtown Streets" (Blues)
Visite os sites: www.fabiodwyer.com.br e
www.buscamp3.com.br/fabiodwyer