[Slowhand] "Layla" poll results

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 09:30:04 EST 2006

Hello All,

Very interesting results for the poll on the various versions of
"Layla". Here are the numbers, and the sources revealed:

Version 1: http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/layla-1.mp3

This was the Mickboy "Remaster", and it came in last, with 6 votes, a
25% rating.

Version 2: http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/layla-2.mp3

This was, interestingly ... the original, oft-maligned RSO 2-CD release
taken from the vinyl mixes. It received 9 votes, or 37.5%.

Version 3: http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/layla-3.mp3

This was the remastered "20th Anniversary" edition, and it also tied
with version 2, at 9 votes, 37.5%.

------------------

As I mentioned before, in one way this test is somewhat flawed, as mp3
encoded samples may blur the differences between versions.

But with that said, I will suggest that at the same time, this test also
points out that, for the majority of people, buying version after
version of the same albums is a waste of money - especially if your
listening revolves around portable music players in a lossy format.

Interesting results, I'm not a statistician but I'd call this *very*
close overall, and not at all what I had expected. I will be interested
to hear what others think of the results.

The sound files are still on the server, for those who wish to go back
and revisit the tracks now that the sources are known.

At this time I'm not necessarily inclined to do any more polling of this
sort, as it's a lot of effort for just 24 people to vote ;)

Cheers,
AG