[Slowhand] Eric @ his Zenith, through the decades...

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:41:53 EST 2006

Anyone want to play a game?

I was listening to the Cream Whiskey 1967 mp3s and the Montevideo mp3s and i
was thinking that even though those records are 23 years apart, there is no
loss of dexterity of strength in Eric's playing. So i was thinking, through
the decade if I had to pick one studio/live example of what is Eric's BEST
work for that time period, sorta time capsule performances..

Here's a shot at my picks, i guess your selections are limited or open to
whatever shows you have been to or have in bootleg form.

1960's
Studio:
Bluesbreakers with Mayall
Cream - Wheels of Fire

Live:
The Primal Solos show - Flamingo Club
The Cream stuff is hard to pick, so much good stuff, but I'm partial to
Ricky Tick boot and Klooks Kleek

1970's
Studio: Layla and other assorted Love Songs
Live: hmmm.. the dominoes at fillmore was the only high point i can think
of.

1980's:
Studio: I'm partial to Behind the sun, but one could argue Journeyman (late
80's right?)
Live: My catalog of 1980's shows is sketchy, but i do love the Buddy Guy
collab/jam session at Ronnie Scotts

1990's
Studio: From the Cradle and Unplugged
Live: Club full of blues 1994 in Irving Plaza, NY. Hands down

2000's:
Studio: Slim pickings... Gosh.. I guess I would have to choose Reptile
unless Pilgrim was in 2000, which I dont think
Live: So much good stuff this decade, I cna't just pick one.

aap