[Slowhand] Tower Records to Close

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 19:20:26 EST 2006

I won't bore list members with all my thoughts on this subject, but in
short, we're still in the beginning stages of a revolution in technology
that will take decades (some would say, centuries) to fully unfold.
After all, the printing press changed the world - and we are still
feeling the ripples of change from that invention.

Just as there aren't too many haberdashers or buggy whip manufacturers
about, some of the things we have long taken for granted will be going
by the wayside.

I'm curious to see if the new, digital age, will in some way bring the
music business full circle back to the mid 1960s, when the single was
king and before the concept of an intertwined body of work a.k.a. "the
album" came to dominance in the music world, along with the idea of
singer/songwriters who write, play, and record their own material. As
people move more and more toward individual downloads of songs, will
people be forced - as they were with the LP - to take the deeper, more
intricate songs, along with the catchy hits?

At any rate, Tower Records is going Down, Down, Down :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/10/AR2006121001003.html

I think their financial problems probably started with a shameless bit
of pilfering of promotional materials in June, 1999, in Philadelphia
.... don't YOU, (you know who you are!)

<very big grin>

AG