[Slowhand] Studio vs. Live

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 22:15:51 EST 2006

> Is there ANY Clapton related studio LP release that is better than the live

> performances?

I can think of *very* few examples of that.

In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of only one ... "Superman
Inside".

Great album track, only played a few times live and quite disappointing
at that.

> I REALLY like Pilgrim, in fact I put it up there in ECs top 5 of all-time.

> I couldn't give two hoots whether Climie produced or co-wrote, whether

> there's a drum machine or real drums, if he's using a Gibson or Fender.

> To me it just sounds fantastic and I love the way he plays and sings on this

> and the depth of his song writing.

Speaking of his singing ... talk about progress. EC's always had a good
voice, but I'd definitely say that he's never sounded better than he
does now.

Consider this an "EC song of the Day" bonus track for those folks who
have read this far:

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/pilgrim-a-cappella.m4a

Pretty amazing stuff.

Thanks for all the nice feedback I've gotten for some of the samples
I've posted. I was particularly surprised by the interest in the solo EC
guitar track from Japan, 2003.

Why? Because as a fan/collector, it's always interested me that certain
shows/recordings seem to receive an inordinate amount of interest,
whereas other very worthy recordings sometime seem not to raise any
interest at all. Again I'll reflect back to the "Four Faces 1990" as an
example of that, very few people downloaded the clips from that, and to
this day I can't figure out why.

Those Kamikaze releases from the Japan 2003 tour are the same way, I
posted the information on geetarz soon after they were released and
judging from the server logs, there's really been almost zero interest
in them, whereas I expected them to get a lot of attention because of
those bonus tracks.

This a cappella version of "Pilgrim" is another example of that sort of
thing, a really amazing track that has seemed to fall through the
cracks. In one way, it's the opposite of the "EC Solo Guitar Track", as
this has NO instruments at all. It's really beautiful in its own way,
and it would have been really interesting to work this arrangement into
the album. I've always wished EC would do more of a "concept" album,
rather than just a collection of songs. Much in the same way that Neil
Young will bookend an album with different versions of the same song
("Rockin' in the Free World, Hey Hey My My, etc.) this a cappela
version, the released version, and a more powerful live version could
all have been bookmarks at the beginning, middle, and end of the album.

If EC needs me, I'm available for creative input on the next project.
I can even tune a guitar ... but I can't tuna fish ;)

Cheers,
AG