[Slowhand] EC Was Where? December 18

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 06:10:21 EST 2006

On this day ... well, EC didn't do anything again. Or if he did, I
don't remember it.

At any rate, since there's nothing date-specific, we'll throw in a
studio session to liven things up.

"Homeboy" has always been my fave EC soundtrack work, and "Training" has
an infectious groove that makes it a personal favorite. This is one of
those riffs that could go on all day. This is one of those instrumental
tracks (like Derek and the Dominos' "Tender Love") that it would be fun
for EC to revisit and work with a lyricist to see if a full fledged song
could be gained.

This is also an interesting listen, we see the polished results of lots
of practice, rehearsal, and arrangement when we go to a live gig, and
it's easy to forget that as talented as they are, these musicians are
human and need time to learn new things as well. It's really interesting
to hear how the folks on this track take their time easing into the
riff, playing to a click track, and working out how it will be arranged
- complete with EC saying "I fu@&ed up!" at the beginning of the first jam!

Aptly named "Training", this will be a great groove to load onto your
portable music player for the inevitable moment the day after Christmas
when you step on the scales and say "^*(^!*, I gotta hit the jogging
trail !!!".

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/homeboy.mp3

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/homeboy-2.mp3

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/homeboy-jam.mp3

These from the "Unreleased Rare Trax" boxset:

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/clapton/unreleased_rare_trax.htm

Enjoy!
AG