[Slowhand] Bluesbreakers Deluxe Edition

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 05:56:06 EST 2006

I'm a bit of a dag when it comes to what the artist originally intended and
what eventually surfaced.

Take the original mono versions of Bluesbreakers and the Beatles' first four
albums.

Both artists say, in their opinion, the mono is superior because that's how
they intended it to be heard.

Well, I still favour all the stereo versions over the mono, no matter what
they say.

So, when I rushed home with my just released Bluesbreakers Deluxe to play
the only "new" track, On Top Of The World in STEREO, I was greatly
disappointed.

Cause it ain't stereo.

It's the best sounding version so far (they stumbled upon the original
master tapes) but it's mono.

I also checked out the waveform view in Cool Edit and both channels are
almost exactly the same, if anything it sounds a little like the old
"Electronically reprocessed to simulate stereo".

Mind you some stereo mixes are fernerkin' awful.

The first stereo mix of Cream's The Coffee Song had everything except Eric's
guitar out of one channel, and just his short guitar pieces out of the
other. Thankfully they fixed that with Those Were The Days boxed set.

Stay tuned for more anally retentive nit-picking from the Pilgrim lover
down-under.

Tone