[Slowhand] John Mayer

David Fynan clwphils at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 15 15:14:12 EST 2007

I'm not sure what to make of John Mayer. He has good chops,
especially for a "pop" musician nowadays, but to my ears is yet
another Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix clone, with sometimes some
Clapton thrown in. I think there are enough SRV copy cats out
there. It just doesn't interest me. At times I hear some original
playing from him which is not bad, but most times it's nothing new.
As far as his voice is concerned he always reminded me more of a
wannabe Dave Matthews than Stevie Nicks. Basically, I don't think
John is doing anything new or very interesting in either his playing
or singing.

I appreciate the fact that he loves the blues and wants to get more
young people interested in it, but other than that one blues album
(again mostly a SRV thing) he hasn't done much of that. I'm not sure
how many people he's turned onto the blues with his playing. He's
now back to making pop music.

At times John seems like a real likable, funny, humble guy. At other
times he seems to have a very inflated view of himself. I don't
really understand EC's fascination with him either other than he's
probably the only young popular musician who knows how to play the
guitar.