[Slowhand] Current Tour - No More Trucks

Richard Millard millard_richard at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 13:14:02 EDT 2007

OK - After seeing 7 shows so far on this tour, I'm going to stick my neck out and prepare to be flamed.

** I think Derek Trucks is WAY, WAY over-rated.***

Now I've done it. I've committed heresy and departed from the groupthink, but I'm really looking forward to my 8th show at Sacramento tonight, without DT in the band.

I had the pleasure of hearing Duane Allman live many, many times - at the Fillmore West, at Winterland, and elsewhere. From that experience, and from repeated listening to Allman Brothers live shows (official and unofficial) I am convinced that there is absolutely NO COMPARISON between Duane Allman and Derek Trucks. Duane had a much "fatter" tone, and played with much more drive and "bite." Derek often has a very light tone (described by some, not unfairly, as "screeching") and seems to skim over the surface of the music without really digging in. There is really no similarity in their tone or style, and if it were not for the family connection I doubt that anyone would see a resemblance.

Obviously EC, who should know, sees something in DT, so on that basis I'm willing to acknowledge that Trucks is a fine player, even if the comparisons to Allman are over the top. But even so, it will be a relief and a pleasure for me to hear more of EC tonight and even more of Doyle - who was really channeling Albert King in LA and Anaheim in some very fine solos.