[Slowhand] Autobiography

K S backlezz at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 21:55:25 EDT 2007

Good evening all'

>From the Chicago Tribune and as posted by Noah:

"More than once, Clapton tells the reader that music was the only consolation in his life, the one thing that saved him when all else failed. But he never digs too deeply into the how's and why's of his music, and this paucity of insight is the book's primary failing. His complicated relationship with music and his role in it would make a fascinating read; he was in some ways the humble blues servant, the most self-effacing of guitar heroes, and he has done his best work when he shared the stage or recording studio with musicians who could look past his legend and kick him in the shins when needed. But Clapton fans will have to read that analysis in somebody else's book".

I totally agree with the journalist Greg Kot here. And because of this I am extremely disappointed - but like many times before, not very surprised. The lack of detail (regarding recordings, songs, shows and guitar stuff) is painful. He draws up the bigger picture of his life in and outside music, for which I am thankful, but I was hoping his focus would be different. But then again, it would've been a 1.000 page book... Did someone mention a career spanning documentary for 2008?