[Slowhand] Crossroads II, 8:00pm set

K S backlezz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:32:58 EDT 2007

Well, as long as we make use of the technology at hand, in this case the webcast from the concert, not being present at a show has never disqualified anyone from making a sound assesment of the actual PLAYING that took place. So, even if I wasn't attending the two Crossroads concerts (or couldn't we say three, including 1999), I am naturally entitled to my opinion on ECs performances. Atmosphere is not always coming through is clearly, and I never mentioned that in my post.

(I would argue that going over the performance dozens of times in retrospect (on cd/dvd/or online) makes you the best judge on the actual GUITAR PLAYING. I remember attending the EC/Mayall concert in Liverpool in 2003. At the time I felt there were some extraordinary riffs by our man, but when watching the dvd a few months later I found out it wasn't that extraordinary at all. Now, that concert is never talked about, even though the event in itself was amazing. This phenomenon is not always true, but do happen).

So just to make it clear, I'm not talking about the concept or the meaning behind the festivals, but ECs playing. I am as convinced as yesterday, and speaking of 'on fire', check out the available clips again. 2004 is the killer of the two.

Cheers - K