[Slowhand] DVD Review: Crossroads - Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007 Part-2

John Mills turbineltd at btconnect.com
Mon Nov 19 08:48:50 EST 2007

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004012.html
Modern Guitars Magazine
DVD Review: Crossroads - Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007

by Brian D. Holland.

Crossroads: Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007 DVD

Disc II
John Mayer opens the second disc. In an interview, he states: "It's a lot
more relaxing this time because I really feel like I belong. Whether or not
I actually do [sounding quite amused], I'll let the guys on the message
boards duke that one out ..." He makes it quite clear that he's aware of the
fact that people on the internet are disputing his current guitar playing
abilities, a style that seemed to develop and blossom through what began as
an illustrious pop music career; the moral of the story being, you never
know who's lurking in the music forums these days. Once onstage, he
performed "Belief" and "Gravity" from his latest album, Continuum, proving
to guitar lovers everywhere that his fluid and creamy licks are superb, and
are without a doubt on a level with the best of them.
The second disc is comparable to the first in great music, in excellent
photography as well. Steve Winwood does an inspiring set following Los Lobos
and Robbie Robertson. Chicago's own Buddy Guy is phenomenal near the show's
end, performing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and "Damn Right I've Got The
Blues." "Sweet Home Chicago" puts an end to the festivities, of course,
featuring Guy and Clapton, along with Robert Cray, John Mayer, Hubert
Sumlin, Jimmie Vaughan, and Johnny Winter.
Before closing, I must mention a couple of important items. Not only was I
pleased to see that Jeff Beck had finally made it onto the Crossroads 2007
footage, as they neglected to include him on the 2004 DVD, his playing was
incredible on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers." I'm sure everyone who attended
the show took notice of his band: drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, keyboardist Jason
Rebello, and especially bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, whose enthusiasm and passion
for the music was in no way hidden from the audience. It's easily understood
why she's one of the most sought after and accomplished bass players on the
scene today. She's absolutely incredible.
Eric Clapton and his band followed Jeff Beck's amazing set. As brilliant as
Beck and his band were, and as exceptional as the previous performers were
as well, there's certainly sound basis for the Clapton reputation and
opinions of expertise, and it isn't hype. Though it wasn't the end of the
festival, as more great music was to occur, when Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II,
Derek Trucks, and the others broke into "Tell The Truth," Toyota Park was
bursting with sonic energy and showmanship. In an interesting tribute to
George Harrison, Derek Trucks got a triumphant opportunity in "Isn't It A
Pity" to display his versatility as a slide guitarist. This version of the
Eric Clapton Band has the ability to cover the bases of most of the eras
throughout the career of the iconic guitar genius, especially when getting
into material that invokes the styles of Derek and the Dominos, Blind Faith,
Delaney and Bonnie, and especially his solo material. The sound and the
atmosphere exerted in this Clapton performance was purely excellent.
Whatever you do, though, don't ignore the bonus features taken from the
Crossroads Village Stage. There are some spectacular performances (though
incomplete) from the likes of Tab Benoit, Orianthi, Todd Wolfe, Jeff "Skunk"
Baxter, Harvey Mandel, and Jedd Hughes. I just wish the performance by
Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglas made it to the DVD. Some of the good stuff
had to be left on the editing floor I suppose.
Just like the Crossroads Festival DVD set of 2004, there's a lot of great
guitar oriented music to be seen and heard on Crossroads Guitar Festival
2007 From Chicago. It's another guitar player's dream and another music
enthusiast's much loved timepiece and desired anthology. It leaves me
waiting particularly for the next Crossroads Festival and DVD set to happen.
I'd love to see some more of Clapton's friends, acquaintances, and just
all-around great guitar players included. There are many great players out
there deserving of a spot on the Crossroad's stage. Keep them coming, Eric.
Track Listing
Disc 1
1. Introduction and MC: Bill Murray
2. Uberesso - Sonny Landreth
3. Hell At Home - Sonny Landreth with Eric Clapton
4. Maharina - John McLaughlin
5. Rosie - Doyle Bramhall II
6. Outside Woman Blues - Doyle Bramhall II
7. Little By Little - Susan Tedeschi with The Derek Trucks Band
8. Anyday - The Derek Trucks Band
9. Highway 61 Revisited - Johnny Winter with The Derek Trucks Band
10. Nobodysoul - Robert Randolph & The Family Band
11. Poor Johnny - The Robert Cray Band
12. Dirty Work At The Crossroads - Jimmie Vaughan with The Robert Cray Band
13. Sitting On Top Of The World - Hubert Sumlin with The Robert Cray Band &
Jimmie Vaughan
14. Paying The Cost To Be The Boss - B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band
with Jimmie Vaughan and Hubert Sumlin
15. Rock Me Baby - B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band with Jimmie Vaughan &
Hubert Sumlin
16. Sweet Thing - Vince Gill
17. Country Boy - Albert Lee with Vince Gill
18. If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow with Vince Gill, and Albert Lee
19. Tulsa Time - Sheryl Crow with Eric Clapton, Vince Gill, and Albert Lee
20. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain - Willie Nelson with Vince Gill, and Albert
Lee
21. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson with Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill, and
Albert Lee
Disc II
1. Belief - John Mayer
2. Gravity - John Mayer
3. Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos
4. Mas Y Mas - Los Lobos
5. Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck
6. Big Block - Jeff Beck
7. Tell The Truth - Eric Clapton
8. Isn't It A Pity - Eric Clapton
9. Little Queen Of Spades - Eric Clapton
10. Who Do You Love - Robbie Robertson with Eric Clapton
11. Presence Of The Lord - Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
12. Can't Find My Way Home - Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
13. Had To Cry Today - Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
14. Dear Mr. Fantasy - Steve Winwood
15. Crossroads - Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood
16. Mary Had A Little Lamb - Buddy Guy
17. Damn Right I've Got The Blues - Buddy Guy
18. Sweet Home Chicago - Buddy Guy with Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, John
Mayer, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmie Vaughan, and Johnny Winter