[Slowhand] Rory Gallagher & EC

bluespower at cfl.rr.com bluespower at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 18:57:15 EST 2007

I have been a Rory Gallagher fan since the early 70's and an EC fan since about '68. I have seen Rory live on several occasions and EC about a dozen times, including 1970 with D&D.

Rory, like Eric, shunned the spotlight and didn't want notoriety. As much of an EC fan as I am, I must say though, EC sold out and went mainstream and Rory didn't. Rory's roots were in the blues as is EC's. Rory would knock your socks off every night, while you only hoped EC was "on" the night you were to go see him. I never left a Rory Gallagher show feeling Rory didn't give his best. And well, honestly, I have left a few EC shows feeling that way.

That being said, if they were both playing the same night and I could only go see one of them, it would be EC. Because when Eric is "on", and I have been lucky enough to witness those shows, no one is better.

I do miss Rory. He WAS one of a kind.

John Roe