[Slowhand] Rory style is beyond Clapton

Bryan Reid humblephoenix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 19:16:03 EST 2007

KB4IUJ at aol.com wrote:

Clapton got weighted down by drugs, now that he's free of them.

He should be cranking out smash hits and waking up the establishment.

I think he's scare to be the negative influence, which is silly. Which is
why he drifted into the Blues
Music - it's a safe domain. The Old black Blues men created and it's safe
harbors in terms of no new development of style.

So what's he doing - he's shooting himself in the foot by not getting back
up on his horse.

What a shame, too.

WHAT THE FUG???

EC has been off drugs since the 1970s. During the 1970s and 1980s,
when he was grinding out so many of the "hits" you're alluding to, he
had a problem with booze, which he also has dealt with. He has been
pretty squeaky clean since the late 1980s.

Drifted into blues ??? Hell, he started with the blues, and the blues
has been the one constant throughout his musical career. Without a
doubt, his very best work has been blues, whether you're talking the
Mayall Beano album, From The Cradle, Journeyman, Cream, Derek & The
Dominos or whatever.

If by "cranking out smash hits" you mean more pablum like Wonderful
Tonight or Lay Down Sally, thank goodness he's not doing that.

Eric has typically done something great and then lost his focus (or
inspiration) for an album or two, and then come out with something
spectacular again. I full well expect that we shall see some more
top-flight Clapton. Right now, he's in one of his lulls (his last
album I can barely stand to listen to). This, too, shall pass.

Methinks you need to get to know your EC better.