[Slowhand] That's too bad he didn't plug-in

KB4IUJ at aol.com KB4IUJ at aol.com
Sat Dec 22 11:33:27 EST 2007

I went head and pony'ed up $30 bucks to see ole Leon Russell, took my DSLR
and got some ok, photos. But, kick myself for not taking my digital camera
with movie (320x240), as some of those songs were just outstanding to hear again
and from the real deal. Even with the lousy acoustics the Gibson Showcase
has in Memphis, up on the second floor it's was a real treat to look down on
a true master.

My history on Leon isn't much but was talking with a fellow who said he
played on all the Beach Boy's songs of the era and how many a musician was raise
to a new level by being around her or near him. Clearly, his input and his
circle of friends/fanbase also is comprise of management, too.

Everybody is saying Leon is old at 65, couldn't tell it as compared to BB
King at 83. So, if Clapton is 62, he's in good company... Course, if something
ever happen to Leon, Clapton could easily don a white beard and hat... And
be a Leon Russell tribute band/impersonator or better yet, become Santa Claus
as I do believe he's got a real fan base in that genre.

I sure hope somebody taped that show... I'm surprise that guy doesn't have
a Christmas Album, ya know.

Lots of ho, ho, ho's in Memphis last night, and gee, I could have almost
sworn I saw Robert Plant drink a cup of Coffee at Starbux at the Westin on the
patio. Nix that idea for the Cream Coffee Shop across from the Gibson
Lounge... But, I'm just surprised Fender doesn't jump on that location and have
Fender Museum of sorts, sell a few guitars as well.

Popped into the Ground Zero Blues Club and they're steadily getting that
place together, though the stage is definitely too small. What they need is
some high roller musician to come in there and tell Morgan Freeman it needs to
be bigger... Atleast as big as the Gibson Showcase Lounge. Talk about some
hefty competition in the days to come in bringing top acts into Memphis.
Will post some photos/vids on my blog site.

As I'm still in Memphis, Christmas shopping. Gee, and tomorrow I gotta be
in St. Louis to see Big George Brock, I'm one travelin man. Thankfully I'm
centrally located.