[Slowhand] Gibson

John Whitney jfw at insightbb.com
Sat Dec 29 16:33:54 EST 2007

I must disagree, again, regarding Gibson. I invite you to see the Bozeman,.
Montana facility
(http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Additional%20Info
/Montana%20Factory%20Tour/ ). The idea that these guitars are "mass
produced" in the derogatory and lesser-value sense is just plain wrong. If a
customer desires to communicate specific requirements to the Gibson luthier,
it can be done. The hand-crafted excellence and quality control of Gibson
acoustics is beyond reproach. Frankly, I have never run into another guitar
owner who had anything but praise for their guitar. There is a variety in
resonance, sustain, and tone, as would be expected with a variety of styles.
But, mass produced? I think that is an erroneous stretch. I would match my
SJ200 Pete Townsend against ANY super jumbo performance guitar made! And, my
Dove is a work of art!
John Whitney