[Slowhand] FW: Cream and Led Zep

Jeff Elliott jnt.elliott at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 17:25:58 EST 2008

I couldn't agree more. EC has a much different approach to music than Page,
who reveled in the studio and built his tunes with layer upon layer of
guitar, in many respects exploring the eastern mysticism Eric's dear friend
George Harrison ventured into (just watched the Concert for George DVD again
this weekend--what a great show). I think Eric is a much more straight
forward blues purist and Cream allowed him to build on what he started long
before his Blues Breakers stint. Was Jimmy Page influenced by what Eric did
in Cream? It would be foolish to say not. Page was clearly influenced by
not only EC and Cream, but also Beck and a whole host of dead American
Bluesmen.

If you study the "British Invasion," all of those bands that "invaded" the
States in the 60s were fully enamored with American blues and the bluesmen
who wrote, performed and lived the blues. Saying Led Zepplin wouldn't have
happened without Cream is like saying there would've been no Rolling Stones
if not for the Beatles.

Jeff