[Slowhand] Fun while it lasted

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 14 00:27:29 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

My YouTube videos from the Winwood/Clapton shows are gone. I received an email from YouTube that states in part: "This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Gudvi, Sussman, and Oppenheim claiming that this material is infringing:"

I found this odd since I took the video myself. But, when I checked YouTube's Copyright Tips, I found "Some examples of copyrighted content are...Videos of live concerts, even if you captured the video yourself. Even if you took the video yourself, the performer controls the right to use his/her image in a video, the songwriter owns the rights to the song being performed, and sometimes the venue prohibits filming without permission, so this video is likely to infringe somebody else's rights."

So I learned something new today. According to their website, Gudvi, Sussman, and Oppenheim is a Business Management company with offices in LA and Nashville. I do wonder why they care - material that is clearly copyrighted is all over YouTube. Maybe this is evidence that a DVD is coming out?

Steve