[Slowhand] Art&Politics

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 18 15:48:02 EDT 2008

I agree. Dylan, Biaz, Beatles and countless others expressed their protest/outrage artistically in their music, and I respect that. Others have done it in print and on canvass. It's my opinion that there exists a fine line between expressing protest and preaching, and, perhaps, it's better to just let your art speak for itself, and let it be...
Mel
Respectfully, I disagree. I have no problem with artists expressing their political views. Frank Zappa, who said "shut up and play the guitar" was very politically active in many causes. The poet Shelly himself stated "poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world"... In my opinion, politics is far to important in our lives to leave to the politicians. Thank God for Ms. O'Connor, and for John Lennon, and Bob Geldoff who risk their careers to do what they feel is right. Politics gets a bad name because of all the corruption, but I'm thankful that every day I can get up and express my opinion on anything and that you can disagree with me or boo me or ignore me.It's very cool...Garret