[Slowhand] Clapton Reference in Jools Holland Autobiography

Kevin Wilson kevinwilson at telkomsa.net
Sun Aug 17 09:37:46 EDT 2008

Here's a reference to EC by Jools Holland from "Jools Holland - The
Autobiography - Barefaced Lies & Boogie-Woogie Boasts":
"Mark Cooper had introduced me to the King of Soul, Solomon Burke. We wrote
together and set a date to record. But that day Mark Flanagan was taking his
mother to the doctor's and so couldn't make it. We therefore needed a guitar
player for the session. It was a long shot, but on the off chance I rang
Eric Clapton, who not only came and did it, delivering one of the greatest
solos I've heard him do, but he also helped us rewrite the song. In
addition, there wasn't a single word of complaint when I knocked the wing
mirror off his Ferrari when opening the gate to let him in."

The session was on 13 February 2003. EC participated on 2 tracks, along with
Solomon Burke: "Message to My Son" and "Mabel", both credited to Holland,
Burke & Clapton.

The CD's title is Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra: "Friends 3",
although I seem to recall it had an alternative extended title: "Jack O the
Green - Small World Big Band - Friends 3"

Kevin