[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 11, Issue 220

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 17:38:22 EDT 2008

> Hi folks,

> Does anyone know of any software that can be used to

> separate the

> instrumental from the vocals on CDs for burning to a CD etc

> ?

It all depends on the mix of the particular song. There are devices that will do this, and they generally rely on the fact that in most stereo sources, instruments are mixed right and left, but vocals in the middle. Sometimes this technique works well, at other times it doesn't, again depending on the mix. Many karaoke devices use this technique.

There are also "guitar trainers" that use similar techniques to take the
guitar signal and/or solos out of the mix so one can play the guitar along
with albums.

(not that I have this problem personally, since anyone who will hang out
with me is not thin-skinned or easily offended by definition <g>)

~AG