[Slowhand] Davy Graham Obituary

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Dec 20 01:12:04 EST 2008

>> Not DN's favourite guitarist, but hey, he can't do any more to
disappoint him. <<

Davy Graham NEVER disappointed me. Anyone who knew anything about
British guitarists had deep respect for Davy Graham. Graham was, for a
very short period, a member of John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers,
although together they produced, to the best of my knowledge, no
recordings.

Back in the '60s, I looked into Graham and had an album of his, since
lost. I believe he was also on a Decca Records sampler, from about
1965, which I also owned, and maybe still own (my LPs are in boxes
from my last move 4 years ago). Also in the '60s, Pentangle was
moderately popular on the then-new FM "rock" radio, here in the US.
And of Pentangle, I remember guitarists Bert Jansch and John Renbourn,
who claim to owe everything to Graham.

These were all acoustic guitarists, and there's nothing wrong with
that. However, I developed a particular interest in electric blues
guitar, Eric Clapton, BB King, Michael Bloomfield, Freddie King, and
the rest, as they say, is history.

DeltaNick