[Slowhand] John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers Recordings

Jeff Elliott jnt.elliott at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 11:04:35 EST 2009

Nick,
You've struck gold again! Two thumbs up for "Beano" from me as
well. This was another classic I copped from my big brother years ago and
when I started replacing my LPs with CDs in the late 80s (I know, I know.
I'm an idiot. Thankfully I didn't get rid of the entire collection but I am
missing some of those great classics that were, surprise, quite easy to get
the resellers to buy from me.) it was one of the first new CDs I bought.
Unbelievably, it sat on the shelf for most of the 90s while I delved into
the drivel produced back then. I rediscovered its greatness around the turn
of the century (does that sound ancient or what?) and it is in my regular
play list on my iPod.
I know there has been discussion in the digest regarding EC's tone
and the fact that today you can get just about any axe/amp combination to
have a particular sound (the true explanation can be found in the hands of
the axe-man in my humble and unofficial opinion), but I find his
Bluesbreaker tone to be above reproach. Remember, this was back in the days
before the multitude of effects were available and you had guys like
Hendrix, Clapton and Townsend using volume and built in tube distortion for
their sound. Of course, Roger Mayer had a hand in Hendrix's sound but
that's another discussion.
Mayall isn't a tremendous musician nor can he really sing, but he
always was capable of finding unbelievable talent and putting together a
great band. For fun, check out his 70th birthday concert during which Mick
Taylor pays a visit only to walk off of stage right to allow the real
master, EC, step in stage left and steal the show. Watching Mayall's eyes
tear up as Eric strolls onto the stage and the crowd erupts is worth it
alone.

Jeff