[Slowhand] Dale Kalima's chicago review

James Vlahakis jvlahakis at hinshawlaw.com
Thu Jun 18 09:35:28 EDT 2009

Thanks for your thoughts on the show.  I can't post to the Digest so if you want to share this, feel
free.

Overall, I thought the show was hot for the most part better than MSG last year.  Had To Cry Today
(not one of my favorites due to the repetitive guitar lick) opened the show with much better guitar
work than I recall from the MSG show we saw and set the standard for the rest of the show.  EC
seemed to play with a lot of fire and a somewhat different style than usual - a lot more on the
lower strings and lower frets.

I can't say that the backup singers added anything.  The show would have been as good, if not
better, without them.

I thought the acoustic set was good, although Layla Light didn't add to the show.

I agree that Voodoo Chile was KILLER - for the first 10 minutes or so.  Unfortunately, they didn't
seem to know when to end it and the crowd was clearly restless by the time it eventually fizzled
out.  As my wife said, the LONG version of this song meant some other songs were left out (Little
Wing, Fantasy).

What a shame Little Wing and Dear Mr Fantasy were cut out of the show. I understand bringing Buddy
Guy on for the encores, but Sweet Home Chicago???  What a cliche! It was nicely done, but come one,
how about a little originality in song selection.  And the line about the dog and a piece of tail
in the other tune, amusing the first time you hear it, gets pretty old after hearing Buddy do it
regularly. Steve didn't have a lot to contribute to the encores, and when the house lights went up
without another encore, the disappointment in the audience was obvious.  I was really looking
forward to Fantasy as a closer, so I was very disappointed that it got axed.

I Look forward to comparing this show with the earlier shows from the tour.

Dale (via James V in chicago)

Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP is an Illinois registered limited liability partnership that has elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform Partnership Act (1997).

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) named in this message. This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be subject to applicable attorney/client and/or work product privileges. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and its attachments. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and/or any attachments and if you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information contained in this communication or any attachments.