[Slowhand] Banned Record Covers: Blind Faith

John Mills turbineltd at btconnect.com
Fri Jul 3 03:50:28 EDT 2009

A more complete version than I've seen before:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/108898_banned-record-covers-blind-faith

Banned Record Covers: Blind Faith

The release of that album (Polydor Records U.K/Canada, Atco Records U.S.)
provoked controversy because the cover featured a topless pubescent girl,
holding in her hands a silver space ship designed by Mick Milligan, a
jeweler at the Royal College of Art. Some perceived the ship as phallic.
That was too much for the U.S. and orders were quickly cancelled. A quick
reprint had the back cover photo (see below) of the band on the front, the
naked girl banished from sight. Within a week of the change, the album was a
gold record.

The cover art was created by photographer Bob Seidemann, a personal friend
and former flatmate of Clapton who is known primarily for his photos of
Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead. Bizarre rumors both fueled and were
fueled by the controversy, among them that the young girl was Baker's
illegitimate daughter or, alternatively as a fantasy, was a groupie kept in
the meadowlands as a slave by the band members!

Actually, the young girl was a London suburbanite, Mariora Goschen.
Seidemann wrote that he approached a girl reported to be 14 years old (Sula
Goschen) on the London Tube about modeling for the cover. Later he met with
her parents, David and Angela Goschen, at their home in Mayfair, finding
them wealthy, distantly related to royalty, friendly with Allen Ginsberg and
with Bohemian sympathies. They gave their consent, but in the end, it was
Sula's 11-year-old sister, Mariora, who posed. She asked for 'a young horse'
as payment but instead received 40 pounds from Stigwood, Clapton's
management organisation. "The nudity didn't bother me. I hardly noticed I
had breasts. Life was far too hectic. I was mad about animals and much taken
up with family and friends. But now, when people tell me they can remember
what they were doing when they first saw the cover, and the effect it had on
them, I'm thrilled to bits. By the way, I'm still waiting for Eric Clapton
to ring me about the horse." Said many years later Mariora.

Sula had been proved too shy and also old for the effect Seidemann wanted.
He wrote: "I could not get my hands on the image until out of the mist a
concept began to emerge. To symbolize the achievement of human creativity
and its expression through technology a space ship was the material object.
To carry this new spore into the universe innocence would be the ideal
bearer, a young girl, a girl as young as Shakespeare's Juliet. The space
ship would be the fruit of the tree of knowledge and the girl, the fruit of
the tree of life"...."I called the image "Blind Faith" and Clapton made that
the name of the band"

One other interesting note about the cover is that it was nameless, only the
wrapping paper told the buyer who the artist was and the name of the album.
According to Seidemann, "It was Eric who elected to not print the name of
the band on the cover. This had never been done before." In fact, this had
been done previously for The Rolling Stones 1964 debut album, Traffic's
self-titled 1968 album, and The Beatles' albums Rubber Soul (1965) and
Revolver (1966).

Though initially banned in the U.S. the original artwork was quite popular
and collectible. Also became available later in the 1970's on the RSO label
worldwide, and in the USA as a "JEM" import item.