[Slowhand] Clapton-Beck

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Oct 6 19:08:06 EDT 2009

>> All views appreciated! It's been quiet here lately. <<

Well, since ALL views are appreciated, I'll add my 2 cents ...

I'm not excited in the least about a Clapton-Beck performance.

From a technical standpoint, Jeff Beck is very talented. But I think
that's where it ends. For example, I have never heard him play a
decent blues solo. He tries, but he misses the mark by miles. On the
other hand, he seems to be content making sound effects with his guitar.

Beck played on some great songs by the Yardbirds, such as "Heart Full
Of Soul," "Over Under Sideways Down," and others. But he contributed,
and didn't do the whole song by himself. When left to himself,
however, it's back to sound effects. The liner notes to one of the
early Yardbirds albums actually joked about these.

When people mention the three famous guitarists who played for the
Yardbirds -- Clapton, Beck, and Page -- I prefer to mention the three
famous guitarists who played for John Mayall: Eric Clapton, Peter
Green, and Mick Taylor. Both Beck and Page -- I've seen all the
guitarists I've mentioned in this e-mail live -- were disappointing,
as was their music. To me, Led Zeppelin is adolescence, and Jeff Beck
is sound effects.

On the other hand, I think Clapton, Green, and Taylor are real
guitarists.

DeltaNick