[Slowhand] EC, Beck, DN and what may or may not have to do with the other...

Bryan Reid humblephoenix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 12:21:13 EDT 2009

At the risk of displaying my subtle grasp of the obvious, our esteemed
DeltaNick is first and foremost a fan of the blues guitar (hence his
previous references in this thread to EC, Mick Taylor, and Peter Green
- he will also wax eloquent on the late Mr. Bloomfield if provoked).

Whilst one could quite easily debate the matter, I consider Jeff Beck
(these days and for the last 2-3 decades) more in the jazz-fusion
vein. Even if one is passionately devoted to the blues, as I am, it is
hard not to appreciate Beck's skill, technique and prowess, but it is
easy not to be deeply moved by his playing. I have his concert from 14
Sept 2002 at the Royal Festival Hall on as I type this and I am
enjoying it (particularly the interplay with John McLaughlin, as well
as with Jack White).

That said, it does not and can not move me the way that EC's 1990
blues nights at the RAH or his better nights from the FTC tours do.
There is simply no comparison. I would eventually get bored with
listening to this concert if I played it over and over. I have no idea
how many times I have played the 10 Days box set from the 1995
Japanese tour, but each playing is a new revelation. It is the first
thing I would grab if the house caught on fire.